Passcodes can be tricky to remember, so it’s no surprise if you’ve forgotten your Apple Watch passcode – or, you simply want to remove it.
Apple requires you to set a passcode if you opt to use Apple Pay on the smartwatch, though you can, of course, remove it if you don’t mind foregoing the feature. And, as we say, in the unfortunate event of your passcode slipping from your memory, it’s possible to still recover.
Read this: Top Apple Watch tips and tricks
So, here’s what to do if you forgot your Apple Watch passcode or want to reset it.
Remove Apple Watch passcode
You can reset your Apple Watch passcode using either the paired iPhone or through the smartwatch itself. We’ve detailed both methods below.
Remove Apple Watch passcode from iPhone
From the iPhone’s Apple Watch app, you’re able to manually remove the code you set when first setting up the device. However, be aware that you’ll need to set it up again if you do reset it – make sure you have a recent backup saved to restore from.
1. Open the Apple Watch app and go to My Watch.
2. Hit General > Reset.
3. Hit Erase Apple Watch Content and Settings, then again to confirm.
4. You’ll then be prompted to keep or remove your cellular plan if you have one set up. If you want to pair the two devices again, keep the plan. If you don’t want to pair the iPhone and Watch again, remove.
5. Wait until the resetting process is complete, then set up the Apple Watch again.
Remove passcode from Apple Watch
For whatever reason, if you don’t have your paired iPhone, you’re still able to remove the passcode from the Apple Watch. Again, though, you’ll need to set it up again if you follow these steps, so make sure you have a recent backup saved to restore from.
1. Place the Apple Watch on its charger.
2. Hold the side button down until see the Power Off appear, then slide to confirm.
3. Hit Erase all content and settings.
4. Wait until the resetting process is complete, then set up the Apple watch again.
More Apple Watch how-to’s
How to use your Apple Watch
How to use Apple Health
How to set up your Apple Watch
How to use Spotify on Apple Watch
How to use Alexa on Apple Watch
How to add music tracks to Apple Watch
How to use Siri on Apple Watch
How to unlock Mac with Apple Watch
How to improve Apple Watch battery life